A Parents Guide to Kids Online Safety
Parents go through a number of achievements with their children. Accomplishments such as learning to walk, riding a bike without training wheels for the first time, and beginning school are benchmark events in the lives of children and parents. Another momentous event in the eyes of children and parents is the first time that a child gets to use a computer. This is a big day for most kids and the start of a lifetime of education and entertainment.
However, parents need to be concerned with the online habits of their children. At the youngest ages it is easy for parents to sit with children and observe what they are doing online. However, as the child gets older the need to sit with them diminishes, but the concerns with what they are doing online should continue. With current issues such as online predators, cyberbullying and other threats should be treated as a serious problem.
There are many things that parents can do to ensure that children are safe while online. They include looking to see what they are doing, monitoring history of the computer or online device and talking with their children to make sure they are aware of any potential dangers that exist. To help parents talk to their kids about online dangers, we have compiled a list of helpful websites. Please feel free to use this information to help keep kids from toddler years to teen-aged years safe online.
Introduction to the Internet
- Internet for Kids – online interactive tutorial providing kids with an overview of how the Internet works and provides key information.
- The Parents Zone – informative site providing parents with information on how the Internet can be used as a supplemental tool to learning.
- Internet Information for Kids – useful kid friendly site with links to appropriate sites for kids as well as information for parents on how to safely use the Internet.
Social Network Safety
Chat Room Dangers
- IM and Chat Room Safety – collection of information and tips from the government on how to avoid pitfalls in chat rooms.
- Parents and Chat Room Safety – page providing information for parents on how they can help children remain safe while on chat rooms and other online activities.
- Chat Room Dangers – helpful site providing parents with information on the potential danger areas for children in chat rooms.
- Crimes Against Children – article providing information showing that one in seven children are threatened by predator’s online, and other useful information.
- Legal Issues – helpful collection of resources showing the legal efforts that are in place to stop online predators.
- FBI Online Predator Information – informative resource from the FBI which provides parents with information on what to look for to keep children safe from child predators.
- Online Sexual Predators – information on how children are vulnerable online and what parents can do to keep them safe.
- Kids and Computers – useful information for parents on the potential danger facing children online through email and other online usage.
- Dangers of the Internet – information on the top four dangers facing kids on the Internet including instant messaging and email.
- Guide to Kid Friendly Email – helpful article from PCworld providing parents with information on how to establish a kid-friendly email account with your child.
- Cyberbullying – definition, examples and how to prevent children from being a victim of cyberbullying.
- Dealing with Cyberbullies – helpful government site providing information on what is a cyberbully and how to deal with them.
- Cyber Bullying Information – general information on the problem of online bullying typically by children on children.
- Cyberbullying Resources – useful site providing a variety of resources for educators, parents and children on how to deal with the problem of cyberbullying.
- Cyberbullying and Cyberstalking – informative collection of information and resources on different types of online abuse.
- Guide to Online Protection – information on how your personal information should be kept safe online.
- Keeping Personal Information Safe – helpful suggestions that should be done to protect your personal information such as account numbers and personal identification numbers safe while being online.
- Online Tips – practical help from the FTC on how to remain safe while being online and not be a victim.
General Online Safety Resources